Subject: [boost] Is Boost Broken?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-08 12:40:56

At Boost Con 2010 I made a presentation in which I suggested changes in
boost to permit it to continue to prosper. This presentation was titled:
"Is Boost Broken?"

Here's the video link - but it doesn't seem to work any more
http://blip.tv/boostcon/robert-ramey-is-boost-broken-4166775

And the slides
http://www.rrsd.com/software_development/boost/BoostCon2010/boost_con_2010.pdf

And a thread of the discussion in the aftermath.
http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/quot-Is-Boost-Broken-quot-post-script-td2668326.html

The response was encouraging but sorry to say that note much concrete has
come of it ... until now.

I've implemented most of these ideas as a website - Boost Library
Incubator - www.blincubator.com which
is intended to help library authors and provide a place where libraries can
be developed prior to the
review process. This touches on just about all of Boost workflow and
initiatives in one way or another. This includes Modularization,
Documentation standards and preperation, Testing and Test Reporting,
Deployment. Probably the main underlying ideas here are:

a) Decoupling and Modularization of libraries in general and boost in
particular.
b) Workflow to improve code quality
b) leverage on "free" tools, technologies, and facilities to get most bang
for the buck.

As a "teaser", I've included a new library "safe numerics" which addresses a
long running sore in the C language. It's a serious proposal for a library,
but my main interest is to have a prototype to develope the next concept.

I'm very much tempted to comment on the current state of development of web
technologies - the that would take me waaaay of topic and we'll leavel that
for another time.

Looking forward to feedback from boost enthusiasts.

Robert Ramey