Subject: Re: [boost] [pool2] Requests for comment
From: Nikolay Mladenov (nikolay.mladenov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-16 11:21:27

Hi Etienne,

> Other questions :
> - I have defined a pool class which manage fixed sized buffers of
> some object T. Do we also need a pool class that can manage variable sized
> buffers of some object T ?
> - From a pool, I can implement a pool_allocator which inherits
> from std::allocator, exactly like it was done in the original boost::pool.
> Do we need something else ?

We currently use the pool to allocate variable size buffers of an object T,
and find it useful despite the speed issues.
We used it to replace the alloc/realloc calls of a third party library
which was causing excessive memory fragmentation.
Now all the fragmentation is localized into the pool and it is cleaned up
once the call to the third party lib ends.

Nikolay