Subject: [boost] [test]portability of data test cases and build issues
From: Gennadiy Rozenal (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-04 04:17:31

Hi,

I've been working on portability fixes for new features in boost.test. They now
works fine with gcc 4.6 and 4.7 msvc-10.0 and msvc-11.0. My attempt with clang
on linux lead to compiler crashing, but I see it passing in regression on
darwin, so I am not sure on the status. I do still have some issues about
portability and boost.build:

1. Boost.Build does not handle correctly target foo with sources residing in
subdirectory foo under location of Jamfile. I had to rename directory
boost/libs/test/test/test_datasets into test_datasets_src, because of that.

2. How do I tell that I want to pass compilation to gcc in toolset gcc-4.7 only?
I've tried
<toolset>gcc-4.7:<cxxflags>-std=c++11
and
<toolset>gcc-4.7.2:<cxxflags>-std=c++11
and either one does not work.

<toolset>gcc:<cxxflags>-std=c++11 does work, but I want to pass different
options for different versions of gcc.

3. Question: Should I tell *unconditionally* in Boost.Test Jamfile in
boost/libs/test/build that I want to pass -std=c++11/-std=c++0x depending on a
version? If not, how do I test test_dataset target with this option? Also How do
I disable for configurations which does not support it?

4. Issues with regression testers setup?
If you look here:
http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/test.html
You will see that:
a) clang linux columns are empty. Why is that?
b) msvc-11.0 setup is broken because of:
'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
c) sun setup is broken because of:
/bin/sh: line 2: CC: not found

Can we fix these?

5. Portability for other compilers.
I am not quite sure which is lowest version of gcc this feature works. Anyone
who is interested in making it work with older/different compilers feel free to
submit patches.

Regards,
Gennadiy