Subject: Re: [boost] C++ announcements coming tomorrow
From: Paul Mensonides (pmenso57_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-04 17:41:14

On 11/4/2012 2:14 PM, Cory Nelson wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Paul Mensonides <pmenso57_at_[hidden]>wrote:

>> The extensions for C++/CX and C++/CLI are even worse because they actually
>> subvert the entire language by forcing the limited .Net runtime model on
>> the language which is a massive regression.
>>

> C++/CX is sugar for building and using Windows RT COM objects. It does not
> involve .NET _at all_. Not in your code and not hidden in the runtime
> background. Furthermore, both of them are intended for use as a bridge into
> the Windows platforms at the outer edges of otherwise portable,
> standards-compliant code. You're not supposed to use them as your primary
> language.
>
> Resume (slightly more informed) venting.

I'm not uninformed. I'm generalizing because C++/CX and C++/CLI share
some extensions at the syntactic level, and I'm not referring to the
details of either except in that they *both* create a new type system,
object model, runtime model, etc..

Furthermore, my rant is not about .Net. My rant is about altering the
language in absolutely unnecessary ways in order to market other,
non-C++ technologies by attempting to leverage the C++ base and trying
to disguise it. E.g. introducting "Windows Runtime types", ref classes,
partial classes, properties, a crippled "runtime" generics mechanism.

Sorry, no. This is (1) unnecessary and definitely not more important
than implementing the complete actual language, and (2) is not driven by
trying to be "helpful to the community". This is 100% driven by
marketing and MS's current attempt at creating a closed platform.

All of that said, I wouldn't be nearly so pissed at MS if they actually
implemented the language aside from whatever else the do--extensions or
libraries or whatever. But they don't. They continue to focus on
proprietary stuff while simultaneously preaching about their
"commitment" to C++. So, I call b.s., and I'm *far* from the only
person that can put 2 and 2 together and derive such a perception.

Regards,
Paul Mensonides