Subject: Re: [boost] C++ announcements coming tomorrow
From: Paul Mensonides (pmenso57_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-05 01:13:51

On 11/4/2012 6:19 PM, Edward Diener wrote:

> C++/CLI does not pretend to be C++. It is a dialect of C++ for .Net
> programming but nobody of any experience views this as the official C++
> language.
>
> Your rant against things like C++/CLI and C++/CX is ill-founded IMO.
> Language vendors certainly have the right to create a new language from
> an existing language for their own use and their customer's use. I think
> you are being intolerant to think otherwise. If Microsoft has said
> anywhere that C++/CLI or C++/CX is standard C++ I would like to see it.

Sure they have the right to do it. That doesn't make it good design,
that doesn't make the way they go about it ethical, and that doesn't
make it good for C++ as a whole. Regardless, as I've said, I wouldn't
have nearly the vitriol toward MS if they actually implemented the
language. No marketing, no "subtle" maneuvering, just implement the
language. They go on and on, especially in the last year or two, about
the "C++ renaissance" and their commitment to C++, but then they develop
yet another set of their own extensions instead of C++.

> There are probably few serious C++ expert programmers who do not agree
> with you that language vendors should support the C++ standard. But that
> is very different from mandating that language vendors should only be
> allowed to support a language standard and not be allowed to create
> another similar language for their own purposes.

I'm not advocating mandating anything. Microsoft should either say they
support C++ and then actually do it by implementing the language
(completely--no "won't fix"), or they should say that they don't support
C++ and step aside--developing whatever C-flat that they want.

> Actually C++/CLI is a very good language for .Net programming but
> Microsoft's support for it has been abysmal, so that it is hopeless to
> use it ( as opposed to C# ) for any serious largescale .Net programs or
> modules.

This has nothing to do with C++, but there is no such thing as a good
language for .Net programming. It isn't a good runtime model. Take
away the .Net Framework (which is bloatware anyway--std::string x 1000)
and what do you have? You have a fairly generic ho-hum language that
bubbles implementation detail (in the form of any type of non-memory
resource management). Now implement the .Net Framework, bloatware and
all if you like, as a C++ API, and you have everything that C# actually
offers sans reflection--which is frequently overused to paper over poor
design. The point is, of course, that C# strength is *not* its
language, but rather its extensive library--however poorly implemented.

I look at that and say, "Why isn't that easily available in C++?" The
answer, IMO, is largely because libraries target *compilers* rather than
C++. Regardless of what gets added to the standard library, it will
*never* be enough. What's needed is for compiler vendors to approximate
the language to the greatest degree possible such that the standard acts
as a contract between compiler authors and compiler vendors. That is
priority one for C++ to move forward. More libraries in the standard
library is good, but unnecessary. There is only one thing that is
really necessary.

Regards,
Paul Mensonides