Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Process 0.5: Another update/potential candidate for an official library
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-07 19:08:21

"Boris Schaeling" <boris_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I've uploaded a new version of Boost.Process 0.5 to
> <http://www.highscore.de/boost/process0.5/>:
>
> - Made child movable and non-copyable on Windows (destructor closes
> handles)

... and from docs "On Windows child is a movable but non-copyable
type. The destructor closes handles to the child process when the
instance of child goes out of scope. On Windows it's not strictly
required to call wait_for_exit to clean up resources."

Does this mean child *is* copyable on other platforms? So the class has
entirely different semantics on different platforms?

>From the docs: "While inherit_env is required on POSIX, environment
variables are also inherited without this initializer on Windows as on
Windows environment variables are inherited by default."

I still don't get why you're letting this behaviour vary between
platform. Sure, the underlying system calls have different defaults but
they are both capable of both behaviours. The whole point of a
platform-independent library is to align such variation.

Alex