Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Process 0.5: Another update/potential candidate for an official library
From: Yakov Galka (ybungalobill_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-14 14:04:25

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Alex Perry <Alex.Perry_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> It’s a similar problem to why boost filesystem returns path objects rather
> than strings [...] the simple passing a command line string is probably too
> flawed to be useful imho

The alternatives are not better. I definitely object to adding wchar_t
interface. It has little use in portable code (how do you write portable
code with this?), thus I consider it being inappropriate for boost. As was
already said in this thread "uniformity is a requirement for the
abstraction". This is exactly what boost filesystem did wrong.

Just use UTF-8 on windows, that's it. Do not tell me that converting UTF-8
to UTF-16 is a significant overhead when creating a process...

--
Yakov