Subject: Re: [boost] boost filesystem path as utf-8 revisited
From: Yakov Galka (ybungalobill_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-14 14:18:30

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Rush Manbert <rush_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> For the record, what I had been hoping for was a suggestion of a way to do
> this setup at compile time, and I'm not doing the work so I don't have the
> sources to play with. [...]
> so that's what we're going to do. Unless someone (Beman?) tells me that
> it's not a good idea. ;-)

It is really simple to do this in compile time. The relevant lines to be
changed are in windows_file_codecvt.cpp. Replace:

UINT codepage = AreFileApisANSI() ? CP_ACP : CP_OEMCP;

with

UINT codepage = CP_UTF8;

(twice).

I was proposing doing this as a compile time configuration flag a long time
ago. Unfortunately Beman mostly ignored me. Maybe you will have more luck.

P.S. Hell, I do not understand why once a library is accepted into boost
the author can just do whatever he gets onto his mind.

Cheers,

--
Yakov