Subject: Re: [boost] [multiprecision] OK to merge to Trunk?
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-15 05:56:27

>> Where are you planning to put the library? I think it clearly addresses
>> numeric problems so I would say it should go into
>> boost/numeric/
>
> It is a numeric library, but most Boost libraries stand alone. There are
> other numeric libraries not already in that directory(refer to the Math
> and Numerics category on the Libraries page), so precedent is against you.

Just a couple of more random thoughts:

1) I think sub-libraries work best when they're related mini-libraries:
utility is a good example.
2) Personally I find extra long include paths a pain, especially if
boost/mylib is already subdivided.

So I would prefer larger standalone lib's to go directly in boost/mylib and
smaller mini-libs either under the banner of an existing lib, or under a
subcategory such as boost/utility.

Of course uBlas breaks that by being a large lib that could/should stand
alone, but is under the /boost/numeric sub-category.

So <shrug> I guess!

John.