Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Process 0.5: Another update/potential candidate for an official library
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-15 13:05:39

Yakov Galka <ybungalobill_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Alex Perry <Alex.Perry_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>> My problem with this is that its confusing ...
>
> What is confusing? Defining a uniform interface is confusing?

Every C++ runtime implementation, every C++ standard library
implementation and other Boost libraries on Windows assume that 8-bit
char strings are encoded using the local ANSI codepage. While this is
not ideal, it is at least consistent. The confusion arives from
unilaterally changing one library to interpret 8-bit strings
differently.

Alex