Subject: [boost] Heads up - string_ref landing
From: Marshall Clow (mclow.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-15 14:19:53

I'm about to check in some new functionality into the string_algo library; an implementation of string_ref.

A string_ref is a non-owning reference to a string. It is implemented as a {pointer, length} pair, and is exceedingly useful
when parsing, and manipulating strings in "read-only" ways.

The header will be in boost/algorithm/string_ref.hpp, but I welcome discussion about where it should live.
Ideally, I think it should be just "boost/string_ref.hpp".

Basic sanity tests will be checked in with the header file - I have tested on clang, clang11, and gcc.
One reason for checking this in now is to get the tests run on lots of different systems.

Docs will be coming soon, but http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2012/n3442.html
is the proposal for "a future version of C++" ;-)

Please let me know what you think!

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow Idio Software <mailto:mclow.lists_at_[hidden]>

A.D. 1517: Martin Luther nails his 95 Theses to the church door and is promptly moderated down to (-1, Flamebait).
        -- Yu Suzuki