Subject: Re: [boost] Heads up - string_ref landing
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-15 19:21:28

Marshall Clow <mclow.lists <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'm about to check in some new functionality into the string_algo
> library; an implementation of string_ref.
>
> A string_ref is a non-owning reference to a string. It is implemented
> as a {pointer, length} pair, and is

My experience is that we are better of with 2 pointers

> exceedingly useful
> when parsing, and manipulating strings in "read-only" ways.

* This is identical to boost/test/utils/basic_cstring.hpp I use in Boost.Test
forever (and all other projects I ever worked on).
* I personally like my name better, but I am not attached to it. I also like
names like const_string, string_buffer for different specializations
* The template should support both char and const char as character types
* Feel free to highjack my unit test if you want
* There are some extra features in my interface you can consider as well

Regards,
Gennadiy