Subject: Re: [boost] Should the clang, c++11 and libstdc++ configuration supported?
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-17 07:43:53

On 17 November 2012 12:04, Vicente J. Botet Escriba
<vicente.botet_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> clang compiler is not delivered with a C++11 standard library. When
> compiling on c++11 mode, some boost libraries (in particular, Boost.Thread,
> Boost.SmartPtr, Boost.Test) are expecting to have a C++11 standard library.
> This mean that the user needs to install the latest version of libc++.

Are you sure about that? I just tried SmartPtr and almost all tests
passed. The only problem was that a couple of tests used
initializer_lists

> Could we state clearly in the release notes if the combination clang+
> -std=c++11 + libstdc++ is not supported. Otherwise these libraries should
> update their code so that the user can use this combination.

Well, some libraries do support that configuration so there's no
blanket level of support. And that's pretty much always the case with
boost. Individual libraries should list what they support. I'm not
going to spend time keeping this information up to date. If someone
else wants to volunteer then they're welcome to.

'Official' clang support is actually pretty limited - only clang 2.8
on linux is listed as a primary test compiler. This is because most of
the testers aren't using stable releases, and we decided some time ago
to only list stable releases as primary.

Although I probably should list the library used in the tests. I
mainly haven't because writing the list of compilers is tedious enough
already. It should really be automated.