Subject: Re: [boost] Should the clang, c++11 and libstdc++ configuration supported?
From: Rich E (reakinator_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-20 21:28:49

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Daniel James <dnljms_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I just imagine that anyone who wants to use clang for c++11 development on
> mac with Snow Leopard or later will install libc++, or just use a
> recent g++.

If you want to use libc++ and still support OS X < 10.7 or iOS < 5, you'll
have to bake your own compiler toolchain into Xcode, or do everything from
the command line (probably also involves some baking). You may not even get
it to work for an iOS app at all, if it requires a dylib (at least, it
won't be possible to get it in the app store).

C++11 with libstdc++ is fairly common because it is the only way to
maintain support for these (modestly) older OS versions. People still want
the new language features, then use boost as a fallback for things like
thread, mutex, etc.

By the way, the new Android NDK (r8c) supports clang 3.1. It relies on
libstdc++, but no libc++ as far as know.