Subject: Re: [boost] Should the clang, c++11 and libstdc++ configuration supported?
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-21 03:36:40

On 21 November 2012 02:28, Rich E <reakinator_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> If you want to use libc++ and still support OS X < 10.7 or iOS < 5, you'll
> have to bake your own compiler toolchain into Xcode, or do everything from
> the command line (probably also involves some baking). You may not even get
> it to work for an iOS app at all, if it requires a dylib (at least, it
> won't be possible to get it in the app store).
>
> C++11 with libstdc++ is fairly common because it is the only way to
> maintain support for these (modestly) older OS versions. People still want
> the new language features, then use boost as a fallback for things like
> thread, mutex, etc.

Thanks, that's good to know. So this is something we should be concerned about.

> By the way, the new Android NDK (r8c) supports clang 3.1. It relies on
> libstdc++, but no libc++ as far as know.

That makes sense, libc++ support for linux isn't all there yet. It
looks like they're using libstdc++ from gcc 4.4. So it's less of a
problem there.

It's a pity we don't have any testers for these common setups. There
seems to be a disconnect between the way we develop and the way boost
is used. Maybe there should at least be a wiki page somewhere
describing the default setup for various platforms. The boost wiki
isn't really appropriate, because access is too limited. Maybe we
could set something up on github.