Subject: Re: [boost] Changes to VS 2012 config
From: Timo H. Geusch (timo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-28 20:16:06

On 11/28/2012 12:59 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On 11/28/2012 8:44 AM, Marshall Clow wrote:
>>> Just so people know - I'm updating the Visual Studio configuration to
>>> more accurately reflect the capabilities of VS 2012.
>>>
>>> The first step was in http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/81613
>>> ; the next step will be to update the compiler features.
>>>
>>> If you see any problems, please let me know.
>> This is great Marshall. Thanks for doing this. Will there be any effort
>> made to support the rolling CTP releases of the MS compiler? The latest
>> CTP has variadic templates, for instance (although they're a little buggy).
> Historically we didn't add config support until a compiler was
> actually released. But if Microsoft is going to be adding features
> just via rolling CTP releases, with no formal release for several
> years, I'd like to see us add the CTP features based on _MSC_FULL_VER.
> Note that the CTP released didn't bump _MSC_VER.
>
> I'll see if I can find out more about their plans, too.

My understanding is that they are releasing out-of-band releases for the
compiler that are actual releases, not "just" CTPs. Herb Sutter's talk
at the build conference in October very much suggested that there will
be regular compiler and runtime library upgrades without having to wait
for the next VS upgrade.