Subject: Re: [boost] Changes to VS 2012 config
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-28 21:25:43

On 11/28/2012 5:16 PM, Timo H. Geusch wrote:
> On 11/28/2012 12:59 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
>> Historically we didn't add config support until a compiler was
>> actually released. But if Microsoft is going to be adding features
>> just via rolling CTP releases, with no formal release for several
>> years, I'd like to see us add the CTP features based on _MSC_FULL_VER.
>> Note that the CTP released didn't bump _MSC_VER.
>>
>> I'll see if I can find out more about their plans, too.
>
> My understanding is that they are releasing out-of-band releases for the
> compiler that are actual releases, not "just" CTPs. Herb Sutter's talk
> at the build conference in October very much suggested that there will
> be regular compiler and runtime library upgrades without having to wait
> for the next VS upgrade.

Herb has been pretty clear about this. The CTP releases are what we'll
get until the next major VS release, and the CTP releases are not
intended for production use. I see this as mostly Microsoft trying to
limit its liability. For Boost's purposes, I'd like to see us treat the
CTP releases as full-fledged toolsets.

I don't expect the CTPs will get bugfixes. We'll just get another CTP.
But that's just a guess; don't quote me.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing