Subject: Re: [boost] [compond_file_binary] Gauging interest in a possible library submission.
From: Alexander Voitenko (tarmik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-05 09:45:03

I'm interested too. It seems the sort of weapon that Boost should have in
its toolkit?
Are there any other implementations (free open-source or commercial).

------------------------- Free implementations -------------------------
In Java:
Apache POI (Well known monster :) Users of that library complain that it is
difficult to use)
http://poi.apache.org/

In C#:
Openmcdf library (Lacks of unit testing, consume lot of memory)
http://openmcdf.sourceforge.net/

In C++:
Pole library (Read only support, need very careful usage, because
implementation is unsafe)
http://www.dimin.net/software/pole/

------------------------- Commercial implementations
-------------------------
In C:
SchemaSoft's NFF_StructuredStorage library
It is not available on the Internet, but some companies have its sources.
This is c library, buggy, difficult to use and unsafe. I worked with it in
Quickoffice company.
Hate that macro-style nightmare }:->

If you know any other implementations, pleeeese let me know.

> Although access to Microsoft containers will interest many, and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Authoring_Format even more
Yep. AFF format is structured storage inside.

> are there other structures/format we might consider?
Hmmm... if you suggest one, I can investigate.

> PS Boost licence throughout would be absolutely essential of course.
If you mean that I must release the lib under boost license, this is not a
problem.