Subject: Re: [boost] [release] permission to merge atomic and lockfree
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-06 13:46:29

>> apparently boost.atomic has been abandoned. i must admit, i'm very
>> disappointed that the original author did hardly reacted neither on-list
>> nor off-list.
>>
>> furthermore, it is blocking the release of boost.lockfree, so i'm
>> volunteering to maintain this library. i'd rather see helge bahmann
>> coming back and taking over responsibility for his code, but frankly, i
>> lost all hopes that this is going to happen.
>>
>> iac, i'd like to get permission from the release managers to merge both
>> atomic and lockfree to the release branch.
>
> Thanks, Tim. I haven't been tracking the Boost.Atomic saga too
> carefully. Is it ready to be merged to release? Forgive me if this has
> been discussed already.

i (as in review manager) don't see any showstoppers ... afaict, the only
point that is somehow missing is blocking fallback support for shared
memory in the case that an atomic object is not lockfree. helge
originally intended to provide a separate implementation for
boost.interprocess, but well ... at that time he was at least reacting
to emails :/
however that is not crucial, as the standard specifies the behavior in
this case as `implementation defined'.

tim