Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Documentation for Git and Modular Boost conversion
From: Michael Fawcett (michael.fawcett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-07 15:09:09

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> (Rearranging. Rene, I don't suppose you could bottom-post, could you?)
>>
>> On 12/7/2012 10:40 AM, René Rivera wrote:
>> >
>> > There's no mention of supporting external developers/users that have
>> > subversion external links to the Boost subversion repo. How will
>> > people that have their internal development stored in subversion with
>> > references to Boost be supported? Will they be left out in the cold
>> > once svn.boost.org goes dark? Or will their be an equivalent
>> > subversion read only bridge they could use (after adjusting their
>> > references)?
>>
>> Once the switch is made, subversion will be made read-only. It won't go
>> away, but development will take place in the modularized git repos.
>> Changes from git won't be pushed back into svn; that would become
>> increasingly difficult as the structure of the repos diverge. Anybody
>> who makes use of svn externals to track boost development will need to
>> update to git.
>>
>> Is this scenario common enough that we should have a documented
>> migration path for such people?
>>

> Since I'm one of the persons under that scenario my biased opinion is that
> yes it's common enough. But obviously I don't know how widespread the
> scenario is.

I've since moved on to another company, but at my last job at least
three projects I worked on had a similar setup. They wouldn't be
affected though since the externals were set up to the /releases/
directory and grabbed a certain tag (e.g. boost 1.41.0). I think this
is probably the most common externals scenario.

It seems the only people immediately affected would be those with
svn:externals to boost/trunk, which seems like an unlikely scenario.

Those with existing externals wishing to upgrade to the latest boost
release would need that migration path, however.

--Mike