Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] tools/wave missing (was: Documentation for Git and Modular Boost conversion)
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-09 12:39:19

> > > Just added: https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/TryModBoost
> > >
> > > The original instructions were buried in a C++Now presentation slide.
> >
> > When I follow those steps as far as I can see everything looks fine
> > except for tools/wave, which is missing. Is that intentional?
> >

> Yes and no.
>
> All Boost projects live under https://github.com/boost-lib/, there is no
> separation in libs and tools.
>
> While our current plan is to do the modularization and migration to Git
> separate from the migration to CMake, the modularization was planned with
> CMake and Ryppl in mind. The wave tool comes with the Boost.Wave
> project: https://github.com/boost-lib/wave (subfolder tool). This builds
> nicely with CMake.
>
> A few months ago, we asked about feedback for the modularization layout.
> There were no issues raised, but at that time, we did not use the
> modularized repositories to build with BB2.
>
> Later, we created the boost meta-project, with all the un-modularized
> content plus git submodules, just to be able to use BB2. It seems like we
> overlooked the wave tool.
>
> In the end it is up to you: Do you prefer the wave tool in a separate Git
> repository or as part of Boost.Wave?

The question is what would work better for the libraries depending on the
Wave tool to generate the preprocessed headers (at least Fusion, Phoenix,
Proto). Personally, I have no preference. However, I know that (at least)
Proto's build system expects the Wave tool to be available in dist/bin (when
built).

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu