Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Modularizing Boost libraries with sublibs
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-09 11:50:49

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Daniel Pfeifer <daniel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> While adding Boost.ODEint to the modularization manifest, I realized some
> inconsistencies about sublibs.
>
> The directories in "libs" usually contain one library each. In this case,
> we move the content to a dedicated Git repository. Some directories however
> (algorithm, numeric) host multiple libraries. How should we treat them?
>
> Move each one to a dedicated Git repository, or leave them grouped together?
>
> What's currently inconsistent, is that "numeric" is split into individual
> repositories, while "algorithm" is not.

Size is at least one objective difference between "numeric" and "algorithm".

"boost/numeric" is 210 Files, 30 Folders, and 3,094,931 bytes.
"boost/algorithm" is 70 Files, 6 Folders, and 487,109 bytes.

> Further, I saw that the Git submodules of numeric's sublibraries are
> generated in "libs" rather than "libs/numeric", which is wrong. However,
> before I fix it, we need to decide whether these individual submodules
> should be individual or not.
>
> Opinions?

Unless someone comes up with a killer argument to do otherwise, I'd
say numeric stays separate submodules and algorithms stays as a single
sub-module. I agree with you that the numeric sub-libraries should be
in libs/numeric.

--Beman