Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Modularizing Boost libraries with sublibs
From: Marshall Clow (mclow.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-09 13:24:38

On Dec 9, 2012, at 8:50 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Daniel Pfeifer <daniel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> While adding Boost.ODEint to the modularization manifest, I realized some
>> inconsistencies about sublibs.
>>
>> The directories in "libs" usually contain one library each. In this case,
>> we move the content to a dedicated Git repository. Some directories however
>> (algorithm, numeric) host multiple libraries. How should we treat them?
>>
>> Move each one to a dedicated Git repository, or leave them grouped together?
>>
>> What's currently inconsistent, is that "numeric" is split into individual
>> repositories, while "algorithm" is not.
>
> Size is at least one objective difference between "numeric" and "algorithm".
>
> "boost/numeric" is 210 Files, 30 Folders, and 3,094,931 bytes.
> "boost/algorithm" is 70 Files, 6 Folders, and 487,109 bytes.
>

>> Further, I saw that the Git submodules of numeric's sublibraries are
>> generated in "libs" rather than "libs/numeric", which is wrong. However,
>> before I fix it, we need to decide whether these individual submodules
>> should be individual or not.
>>
>> Opinions?
>
> Unless someone comes up with a killer argument to do otherwise, I'd
> say numeric stays separate submodules and algorithms stays as a single
> sub-module. I agree with you that the numeric sub-libraries should be
> in libs/numeric.

The sub-libraries in Boost.Algorithm are a historical artifact, not something that was designed.

In an ideal world (i.e, one where I have CFT), the separate sub-libraries in Boost.Algorithm would disappear, leaving a single Boost.Algorithm library in its' place.

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow Idio Software <mailto:mclow.lists_at_[hidden]>

A.D. 1517: Martin Luther nails his 95 Theses to the church door and is promptly moderated down to (-1, Flamebait).
        -- Yu Suzuki