Subject: Re: [boost] [Proposal] Adding CPUID Library in Boost
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-11 10:18:29

Misra
> Sent: Friday, December 07, 2012 3:48 PM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: [boost] [Proposal] Adding CPUID Library in Boost
>
> Hi All,
> Any interest in a cross platform CPU ID library? For a application I wanted to get the CPUID
mostly to
> check the SSE2 status. So I missed it in Boost.
> So any interest for it?
> I am currently evaluating the library
> http://libcpuid.sourceforge.net/
> This has a permissive license that I think can go with the Boost license.
> I mailed the author also, although he does not use boost, he told he can give any fixes or support
needed.

This will undoubtedly be useful to a few people.

But I'm not sure if selection of instruction set should not be better done by the compiler at
compile time, not at runtime. This should give the best possible performance (at the expense of
different .exe versions). Or is this more useful for choosing the right version of .exe?

Or is its usefulness as getting an ID of the computer - for which the serial numbers of other
components like hard drives (perhaps in combination) or cookies might be a better bet?

And of course it would need updating (from 2008) and full 'Boostification'. Header only very
strongly preferred of course.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,