Subject: Re: [boost] [Proposal] Adding CPUID Library in Boost
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-11 10:36:18

> But I'm not sure if selection of instruction set should not be better done by the compiler at
> compile time, not at runtime. This should give the best possible performance (at the expense of
> different .exe versions).

when dealing with `end users' you usually end up providing a binary that
`runs everywhere' ... meaning you provide a binary that supports the
most widely supported instruction set. for x86 this means no sseX, no
cmpxchg8b, for x86_64 it means, no avx ... in these cases, a runtime
dispatching is required to get most out of that CPU ...

tim