Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Extracting libraries from the svn sandbox
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-13 12:30:50

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> > I tried using the possible more direct svnrdump command (to talk to the
> > github subversion bridge directly) and failed. It seems the github bridge
> > doesn't support the svn webdav commands svn 1.7 uses. So I tried Beman's
> > suggested commands..

> > 1.5) Create an authors mapping file that has lines to match your github
> > account:
> >
> > echo "grafik = Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]>" >
> github-authors.txt
> >

> >> 2) From the command line, in a temporary directory:
> >>
> >> git svn clone https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/endian
> >

> > I added "-Agithub-authors.txt":
> >
> > git svn clone -Agithub-authors.txt
> > https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/boost/predef
>
> I'm not recommending -A. It doesn't seem very robust.

The only problem I see is that you need all the authors listed. Is there
something else?

> > As I was experimenting I ended up running it multiple times.. And it
> worked
> > the first time. Then after deleting/resetting it stopped working
> subsequent
> > times. Even after trying the exact initial command. So it seems it's
> rather
> > fragile?
>
> If there is any kind of a failure, delete the temporary directory and
> start over at the beginning. Restarts are probably doable by someone
> who understands the way the svn <---> git bridge works, but if they
> know that much they probably aren't following my instructions anyhow.

I tried many times to start from a clean slate. I.e. delete the local git
directory and trying the clone again. The result is that when it gets to
the end of downloading the svn revisions it abruptly stops (without any
messages).. And the git repo is left empty. Not even an error message, and
no seeming way to make it be verbose enough to decipher where it
fails. Hence why I'm unimpressed.. But by now everyone knows my feelings
about git, so I'll make this my last comment on that.

-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything