Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Documentation for Git and Modular Boost conversion
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-15 22:21:26

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Mon Dec 10 2012, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:
>
> > For existing sandbox libraries that the owner wants to migrate to a
> > Git public repo, possibly retaining history, we will want to provide
> > whatever support is needed.
> >
> > I haven't given any thought to migrating the web site. Dave?
>
> I think a regular git-svn migration will mostly work, but I am not
> entirely clear on what's needed in order to reference the html in
> individual libraries' doc/ subdirectories. Rene?

Well.. Moving with git-svn is only about 5% of the work on that. A few
things to deal with:

* The current management, i.e. editing, of the website is possible because
of a post-commit hook that updates the web site content as it changes in
the svn repo. So that would have to be replicated in some form as manually
updating content is unmaintainable. Note, per Beman's request I already
pushed the scripts doing this onto svn.

* The current library documentation relies on having the previous Boost
releases around on disk (the monolithic releases). Hence if we are going to
keep having monolithic releases all we need is to have an established, i.e.
automated, release archive process that we can grab and expand archives for
beta preview use. If we aren't going to have monolithic releases then we
will have to write some code to deal with both styles of releases.

* In all of this we have to deal with the fact that the "active" state of
web site editing will not reside in the web server itself. Which will make
for somewhat more cumbersome management. It will also increase the chances
of tampering with the web site as there are more points of security failure
involved.

* We do also have the option of not migrating the web site source repo. As
once the rest of the svn traffic goes way from the current server the load
will improve dramatically. And the rationale for switching the web site
source to a DVCS is rather specious at best.

-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything