Subject: Re: [boost] [BTREE] Get BTREE library into boost - Market Research
From: Antony Polukhin (antoshkka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-20 06:30:38

2012/12/20 Joel Young <jdy_at_[hidden]>:
> My organization is investigating contracting for enhancements to the
> boost::btree library
> developed by Beman Dawes with all enhancements to remain under the boost
> license and
> author(s) retaining all copyright. No travel is expected to be required as
> part of this project.

Great, I`d love to see it!

> Any comments and suggestions on this are greatly appreciated. Of
> particular interest are
> discussions of technical approaches and estimates of hours required.
> Please do not send formal
> proposals. In addition to replying on this list (preferred) I can be
> reached at the telephone numbers
> and email below.

I did not look through Boost.BTREE implementation, but I worked with
some proprietary btree implementations and following features are
quite useful or provide good performance:

1) CRC for page (extremely helpful for data corruption detection and for debug)
2) Data compression for pages (less file sizes, less memory usage,
ordered data can be compressed very good)
3) Ability for user to provide custom read/write mutexes (fake mutex,
interprocess mutex, std::mutex)
4) Ability for user to provide stateful allocators (might be usefull
for those, who use interprocess)
5) Ability for user to provide comparators
6) Search methods can be speed up, if a `position hint` iterator is
provided (just like in ` iterator std::set::insert (iterator position,
const value_type& val);`)

--
Best regards,
Antony Polukhin