Subject: Re: [boost] Losing history (Was: [git] Boost.Build location_
From: Daniel Pfeifer (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-27 20:56:31

2012/12/27 Artyom Beilis <artyomtnk_at_[hidden]>:

>>________________________________
>> From: Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
>>Now, storing that history takes ~233M on disk, which has some
>>implications. As noted in
>>https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ModCvtSvn2Git#History, it doesn't
>>make sense to reproduce that entire history in each modularized repo.
>>Therefore, when someone wants a continuous look at the past, they're
>>going to use the "git replace" command
>

> I'm sorry but projects way bigger and complext than boost handle entire history
> and use full code (Linux... for example)
>
> Sorry I don't buy it.
>

>>> Version control is used for software development for a good
>>> reason. Not do I find it acceptable to impose history conversion task
>>> on every individual developer.
>>
>>Fortunately, *that* was never in the plan. I hope the above makes that
>>clear.
>>

> See, loosing the integrated svn history would make everything much harder,
> branches, checks, merges and more.
>
> I have **never** seen any serious project loosing its history duing SCM
> transition, if you would try to do such a thing in a software company
> you would be stopped before you begin.
>
> I'm sorry but it not only HUGE surprise for any developer that had
> ever switched SCM, it is just tastes badly.
>
> Please either STOP it now for find a solution before it is too late.
>
> Seriously IMHO, it is just irresponsible.
>
> Boost is not the first project moving from SVN to GIT.

Don't forget that we want to move from SVN to _modularized_ Git. Boost
is not the first project doing this either. Have a look at Qt for
example: The modularized repositories for Qt5 don't contain the
monolithic history of Qt4. This does not mean that the history is
lost! The history is preserved and can be attached to a modularized
repository.

-- Daniel