Subject: Re: [boost] Losing history (Was: [git] Boost.Build location_
From: Ryo IGARASHI (rigarash_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-27 20:59:22

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Artyom Beilis <artyomtnk_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>make sense to reproduce that entire history in each modularized repo.
>>Therefore, when someone wants a continuous look at the past, they're
>>going to use the "git replace" command
>

> I'm sorry but projects way bigger and complext than boost handle entire history
> and use full code (Linux... for example)
>
> Sorry I don't buy it.

I don't, either. Please just 'git clone' pulls ENTIRE HISTORY.
Less than 100GB of storage is not so huge in (almost) 2013.
Even the low-end SSD can contain ~128GB.

If the storage really matters, he can always use 'shallow repository',
using 'git clone --depth N'.

--
Ryo IGARASHI, Ph.D.
rigarash_at_[hidden]