Subject: Re: [boost] Losing history (Was: [git] Boost.Build location_
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-27 22:50:34

On December 28, 2012 5:59:22 AM Ryo IGARASHI <rigarash_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Artyom Beilis <artyomtnk_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >>make sense to reproduce that entire history in each modularized repo.
> >>Therefore, when someone wants a continuous look at the past, they're
> >>going to use the "git replace" command
> >

> > I'm sorry but projects way bigger and complext than boost handle
> entire history
> > and use full code (Linux... for example)
> >
> > Sorry I don't buy it.
>
> I don't, either. Please just 'git clone' pulls ENTIRE HISTORY.
> Less than 100GB of storage is not so huge in (almost) 2013.
> Even the low-end SSD can contain ~128GB.
>
> If the storage really matters, he can always use 'shallow repository',
> using 'git clone --depth N'.

As Dave mentioned, the entire history is ~233MiB. Multiply that by the
number of libraries in Boost and you easily reach multi-GiB checkouts
when using the monolithic Boost (as we all are supposed to be for the
moment). I think this is unacceptable either, even though I'm not a
maintainer. If the history is preserved, it should also be split
between the library repositories.