Subject: Re: [boost] Release managers: Boost.Thread breaking changes in 1.53
From: james (james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-31 04:31:59

> All depend on what do you intend by significant added value. From my POV the std thread was designed more carefully than Boost.Thread which was the implementation of one of the first proposals. The implementation was just frozen until the standard was fixed.

What is the point of changing boost::thread to behave like std::thread?

The user can already choose to use std::thread behaviour - by using
std::thread.

Surely it makes more sense that where boost has implemented something
that has made it to the standard, that the boost implementation be
frozen and deprecated and that the compiler runtime version be preferred
for new development? And that projects move to std::thread?

That should apply to the smart pointers as much as thread, and possibly
others too.