Subject: Re: [boost] Release managers: Boost.Thread breaking changes in 1.53
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-30 18:39:22

Le 30/12/12 21:50, Artyom Beilis a écrit :
>> ________________________________

I just did that. I deprecated it in version 1.50. I agree also that I
could have both future and unique_future.

>> * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6266 #6266] Breaking change: thread destructor should call terminate if joinable.
>> * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6269 #6269] Breaking change: thread move assignment should call terminate if joinable.
>> "
>>
> Now I would like to know what is the rationale behind calling std::terminate instead
> of deaching the thread?
>
> Usually std::terminate is called in case no actions can be done,
> like uncatched exception is thrown.
>
> This is sort of smarter "assert()" or even I would say, we can't define the
>
> behavior, but instead of making it "undefined" lets call std::terminate.
>
> The biggest question what advatnage does it give to the user? Properly
> constructed program should not get to std::terminate, unless there is a bug,
> on the other hand some users (and I used to be one of them till I switched
> to different threading library for unrelated reasoms) expect defined behavior
> of detaching the thread...
This is exactly the reason the standard committee made these changes,
that is, provide an interface that force the user to make correct
programs. See
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2009/n2880.html for
part of the rationale.
> Bottom line, what does the std library compience give us?
There will be already less confusion. See all the questions about why
the behaviors are different in the web.

>> I would like to request advise from the release managers
>> and of course the Boost community. Should I rollback the
>> default to BOOST_THREAD_VERSION==3 for 1.53 and let the
>> time to discuss the best way to manage with these breaking changes?
>>
> >From my point of view if it isn't broken - don't fix it and current code
> is not.
>
> If you want std compient replcement, this is what stuff like boost::tr1 is for.
Thread is not part of tr1. Maybe we need boost::cxx11 ;-)

> But breaking existing code without significant reason or significant added value?
> I fail to see how it is right.

All depend on what do you intend by significant added value. From my POV
the std thread was designed more carefully than Boost.Thread which was
the implementation of one of the first proposals. The implementation was
just frozen until the standard was fixed.

Best,
Vicente