Subject: Re: [boost] Release managers: Boost.Thread breaking changes in 1.53
From: Sergey Popov (loonycyborg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-31 08:45:44

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 02:19:15 +0400
Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> To make things clear. I'm not saying that the API breaks are good;
> they are not. It's the necessary evil to move forward. And if the
> project is not moving, it is dead.

API breaks are good and expected when transitioning to next major
release which was previously developed as unstable branch for some time.
But Boost doesn't have such a branch or major/stable releases as far as
Boost's users are concerned, while most other projects do.
So basically Boost moves the burden to differentiate bugfixes and
disruptive new features on end users. No wonder they don't like it.