Subject: Re: [boost] Release managers: Boost.Thread breaking changes in 1.53
From: Krzysztof Czainski (1czajnik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-31 08:40:57

2012/12/31 Mathias Gaunard <mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]>

> On 31/12/12 12:37, Krzysztof Czainski wrote:
>
>> So how about Boost.Threads2 (like Signals2), while leaving Boost.Thread
>> unchanged?
>>

> Isn't the BOOST_THREAD_VERSION_2 / VERSION_3 macro essentially equivalent?

I don't think it is. Many people seem to prefer the current behavior over
std. So the idea I am suggesting is to leave the current Boost.Thread as
is, so that people don't have to change their working code, and can still
use the current version of Boost.Thread, preferably together with the new
version. So I'm suggesting to prepare new Boost.Thread, that is intended
forever to stay inside namespace threads2, and tell people if/when/why they
should prefer threads2.

I guess it would be best if there was a boost::thread2 namespace, a
> boost::thread3 namespace, and that using those macros only did namespace
> thread = threadN;

Please note, that naming a namespace thread will collide with class thread.
And the usual solution is adding 's' to the namespace, so the namespace is
named in plural (please see [1] for an example).

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_52_0/libs/tuple/doc/design_decisions_rationale.html

Regards
Kris