Subject: Re: [boost] Release managers: Boost.Thread breaking changes in 1.53
From: Marshall Clow (mclow.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-31 10:38:55

On Dec 31, 2012, at 6:17 AM, Lars Viklund <zao_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> This list thread (heh) is pretty much the _first_ I ever hear about this
> debacle. None of the "it's deprecated releases ago" have I ever seen,
> and I, unlike most people, read the lists and (used to) hang in #boost.
>
> What chance does your average packager or developer have to notice this?

It was in the release notes:
        http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_52_0.html

        • Time related functions don't using the Boost.Chrono library, use the chrono overloads instead.
• Breaking changes when BOOST_THREAD_VERSION==3 (Default value since Boost 1.53): There are some new features which share the same interface but with different behavior. These breaking features are provided by default when BOOST_THREAD_VERSION is 3, but the user can however choose the version 2 behavior by defining the corresponding macro. As for the deprecated features, these broken features will be only available until boost 1.55.
        • #6229 C++11 compliance & Breaking change: Rename the unique_future to future following the c++11.
        • #6266 C++11 compliance & Breaking change: thread destructor should call terminate if joinable.
        • #6269 C++11 compliance & Breaking change: thread move assignment should call terminate if joinable.

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow Idio Software <mailto:mclow.lists_at_[hidden]>

A.D. 1517: Martin Luther nails his 95 Theses to the church door and is promptly moderated down to (-1, Flamebait).
        -- Yu Suzuki