Subject: Re: [boost] Release managers: Boost.Thread breaking changes in 1.53
From: james (james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-31 11:38:26

> if you cannot use c++11 for some reasons, it is good to have
> source-compatible version in namespace boost ...

I'm not sure that it is, though. You have a program that uses
boost::thread. Its still not a program that uses std::thread.

Changing boost::thread to work like std::thread causes problems for
people using boost::thread now, and will only be a real help to
portability if boost::thread is limited to what std::thread does.

It seems to me likely that by the time the mess is sorted out,
it is likely that compilers will offer enough compatibility with
std::thread as defined that its a big waste of effort, and in the mean
time everyone who has boost-based systems now has a world of pain as
they work out when/how to 'big bang' entire systems (or at least the
linked-together parts) over to the new behaviour.

Why would anyone writing new software on a modern platform use
boost::thread rather than std::thread unless then actually wanted the
old semantics, anyway?