Subject: Re: [boost] [variant] Basic rvalue and C++11 features support
From: Paul Smith (pl.smith.mail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-11 11:19:23

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Paul Smith wrote:
>>
>> Even though it's called the "never-empty guarantee", I always thought
>> that variant actually provides a strong exception guarantee (i.e. the
>> variant is not just left unempty, but specifically in the previous
>> state) so it's not directly relevant. Am I wrong?
>

> Yes, I believe you are. The problem is that it's hard to provide the basic
> guarantee. Here's why. Imagine you are assigning one variant to another, but
> the contained types do not match. You need to destroy the target type first,
> then construct a source type into the target variant. This construction can
> throw. If it does, you have an invalid target, and no way to bring it back
> into a valid state. Any valid state, not just the original. If the variant
> did have an implicit empty state, you'd use it, but it doesn't, so you
> can't.

I'm aware of the difficulity, but I completely repressed the "Enabling
Optimizations" section :) You're right.

>> Anyway, there's no need to outright disallow move in any case. The
>> goal is simply to find a good move target. Automatically assuming that
>> a non-throwing default constructor is a good move target is a
>> heuristic.
>

> It's not a heuristic. It's the actual requirement that makes a type usable
> for the task. It makes no sense to use another requirement in its place, or
> let the user fiddle with it.

It is a heuristic. Just because something is no-throw doesn't
necessarily mean that it's cheap. But since it's no longer a
precedence, it's fine.
Still, there's no need to supress move construction in the absence of
a no-throw default constructible type.

--
Paul Smith