Subject: [boost] Query of Interest in annotated tree extensions to Boost.Intrusive
From: Jeff Snyder (jeff-boostlists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-17 19:49:35

Hi All,

I've been working on some extensions to allow users to add annotations
to tree data structures (explanation of the idea here:
http://je4d.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/boostintrusive-annotated-trees-part-1.html).

This isn't a new library submission, but it's a fairly substantial
modification to Boost.Intrusive, so I've got the following questions on
my mind:

1. Is there interest in having such functionality in boost?
2. If so, should the changes go through the formal review process?

Regarding the level of interest:
To the best of my knowledge, no one has yet released a library that
provides this functionality. I have, however, come across a few things
that indicate that the technique is in use:

     http://is.gd/PA1Lhm (Evidence of demand for such a library)
     http://is.gd/Lepzrq (A binary tree with a 'pixel height' annotation)
     http://is.gd/PMb6Fy (A node-count annotation on B-trees)
     http://is.gd/RHjpeQ (Paper about a "count" annotation on suffix trees)
     http://is.gd/lHVhC0 (About the usefulness of annotations. Separates
the data from annotations, unlike the proposed library)

Many thanks,

Jeff Snyder
(aka je4d)