Subject: Re: [boost] [variant] Please vote for behavior
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-08 17:20:27

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> on Thu Feb 07 2013, Emil Dotchevski <emildotchevski-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, that's another thing.
>>
>> Is the compiler even allowed to choose between copy and move?
>
> On the basis of whether a move exists, yes. On the basis of whether a
> copy exists, no.
>
>> My understanding is that you can't tell it "this type can't be copied
>> so if I've told you to copy, see if you can move instead".
>
> I think it wouldn't be too hard to code up a copy_else_move(x) function
> along the same lines as std::move(x). You'd probably use some trait to
> detect copiability.

I know you can write code that tells the compiler to move or to copy,
but this doesn't mean that the compiler can move if you told it to
copy. So these operations are independent as far as the language is
concerned, whereas copy constructor elision is allowed entirely at the
discretion of the compiler, because A(A(a)) is the same as A(a).

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.