Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Documentation update
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-14 09:54:33

on Thu Feb 14 2013, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> If you're trying to save disk, you could try using a shallow clone(?)
>>

> That would be the first thing I tried almost two months ago with the git
> CLI. And it turns out to not be currently possible as fetching subrepos
> recursively ignores the shallow clone for the subrepos.

You don't have to fetch recursively, though. You seem to want to do
something unorthodox with Git *and* at the same time want it to take
only a few simple lines of code. I don't think that's necessarily
reasonable.

> I subsequently spent from that time up to a short time ago trying to
> do a shallow clone with dulwich without "intellectual" success (i.e. I
> don't understand enough of the protocol and API to do it). And gave up
> on that for now. So it's now not space efficient.. But at least it
> works.

That's really what matters.

> I'll see about finding out a way to do the shallow clone in the
> future.

I think you have your priorities straight :-)

--
Dave Abrahams