Subject: Re: [boost] [range] [general] making member functionsSFINAE-friendly
From: Vadim Stadnik (vadimstdk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-21 07:49:04

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 8:20 PM, Thorsten Ottosen <
thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 20-02-2013 12:38, Vadim Stadnik wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. <
>> jeffrey.hellrung_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>

>>> I think you're overgeneralizing and/or exaggerating. IIRC, the value of
>>> augmented data structures is certainly recognized (although I'm not sure
>>> of
>>> what you mean by "value...for STL").
>>>

>> There is some interest and there are discussions, but the fact is that
>> there are still no containers based on augmented data structures neither
>> in
>> STL nor in Boost libraries. I do not understand this situation, since
>> augmenting of data structures is a relatively simple textbook method. This
>> is also interesting in the light of the other fact that the functional
>> language Haskell provides the augmented data structure Finger Tree. One of
>> the explanations I have found is the standardization of computational
>> complexities of operations for containers and iterators.
>>

> We have no problem with containers that have different complexity
> guarantees for certain operations. As long as the complexities are clearly
> documented and explained.

This is very encouraging!
Hopefully, one day Boost community will solve the challenging problem - how
to add augmented, advanced and other data structures to the C++ STL. For
the beginning, there are two libraries ("STL Extensions" and "Countertree")
in Boost review schedule:

http://www.boost.org/community/review_schedule.html

I am asking if anyone could volunteer to become a review manager for any of
these libraries.

Regards,
Vadim Stadnik