Subject: Re: [boost] [Filesystem] v3 path separator changes
From: Yakov Galka (ybungalobill_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-22 13:11:02

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Lars Viklund <zao_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > Surely someone knows why Boost.Filesystem path behaviour changed so much
> > between v2 and v3?
>
> While it might not say so on the tin, Boost.Filesystem has never really
> been about handling any path format outside of the one that it thinks
> the current platform uses. Any such accidental alignment has been just
> that, accidental.

This is not true. It defines two path formats, one "generic" and one
"native".

Their interaction is not well defined, however. Starting with that you are
not necessarily can distinguish between generic and native, and generic is
not really portable in any way, so its usefulness is uncertain.

And if you ask me... this is a bad design choice, like half the things in
Boost.Filesystem v3.

--
Yakov