Subject: Re: [boost] [Filesystem] v3 path separator changes
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-23 08:01:19

Yakov Galka <ybungalobill_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Lars Viklund <zao_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> > Surely someone knows why Boost.Filesystem path behaviour changed so much
>> > between v2 and v3?
>>
>> While it might not say so on the tin, Boost.Filesystem has never really
>> been about handling any path format outside of the one that it thinks
>> the current platform uses. Any such accidental alignment has been just
>> that, accidental.
>>

> This is not true. It defines two path formats, one "generic" and one
> "native".
>
> Their interaction is not well defined, however. Starting with that you are
> not necessarily can distinguish between generic and native, and generic is
> not really portable in any way, so its usefulness is uncertain.
>
> And if you ask me... this is a bad design choice, like half the things in
> Boost.Filesystem v3.

Is it time for a Boost.Filesystem v4 to result from an in-depth
discussion on here? I'd hope it would take the best of v3 while
removing some of the hurt it introduced in the process. For example, my
top two issues are:
- unclear generic/native path handling
- methods returning a 'path' for stuff that isn't a path but just needs
  a unicode string

Perhaps people can reply to this thread with any gripes they have?

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)