Subject: Re: [boost] Building ThreadPool with boost::function in boost::lockfree::queue
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-01 15:42:10

> I missed those restrictive requirements for queue. I just read your
> http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/lockfree-crash-in-queue-td4641709.html)
> to another fellow and it looks like he was trying to build something almost
> exactly like what I was trying to do.

well, the requirements are listed in the docs and in my reply ;)
iac, if you have ideas to improve the docs, please let me know.

> I guess the implication is that
> lockfree::queue can't contain anything that is heap allocated (job functor
> with data that requires handle) and still use safe C++ practices via a
> handle idiom/RAII. That's too bad. If technically possible I would love to
> see something like the concurrent_queue from TBB incorporated in your lib
> (of course then it is relaxing the lockfree-ness of the data structure a
> bit). TBB or a wrapped/synchronized deque will work well enough for me for
> now.

the restrictions for this limitations have a technical reason. in
general the design goal is not to provide `concurrent' data structures
like TBB, but to guarantee lock-freedom ...

tim