Subject: Re: [boost] Adding some image libs to boost build
From: Christian Henning (chhenning_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-08 09:11:18

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2013 3:28 PM, "Christian Henning" <chhenning_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > I have added jpeg, png, and tiff jam files to boost trunk. These files
> will
> > be needed by gil::io tests.
> >
> > There are still some remaining issues which I like to discuss in this
> > thread:
> >
> > 1. building these libs sometimes requires renaming header and/or source
> > files to the correct architecture. Should we leave that up to the user or
> > should bjam take care of it. And if so, how will we configure that.
> > One example is jpeg: see jconfig.vc -> jconfig.h
>
> What I've done in the past to handle that is to generate a header file in
> the correct build specific dir that includes the correct library header.

You are correct that's a way to do it. But I'm looking for a solution that
would be a bit more automatic. Like the user downloads the lib source code
and adds the location to the user-config.jam. Boost build will take it from
here.

> > 2. Tiff has a file nmake.opt which is included in the makefile. How will
> we
> > include all those options?
>
> Not sure without looking at the file.. but there are two options:
>
> 1. Recreate the logic in b2 and generate a global header or b2 options.
>
> 2. Have b2, or some other script file, parse the options file and generate
> a header or b2 options.

I prefer the user to add the symbols inside user-config.jam. Of course a
template will be provided by the documentation.

What do you think?

But I'm a little afraid the time to implement all of my wish list will be
too long and possibly too steep. Since I'm a complete noob to boost build I
have to rely on people like Steven. And I'm sure they have better things to
do...

Regards,
Christian