Subject: Re: [boost] [preprocessor] BOOST_PP_OVERLOAD not defined if variadic macros not supported.
From: Mostafa (mostafa_working_away_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-09 02:59:12

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 15:35:52 -0700, Edward Diener
<eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 4/7/2013 5:12 AM, Mostafa wrote:
>> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 13:54:35 -0700, Nathan Ridge
>> <zeratul976_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> However, I agree that this should be made more explicit, because just
>>> looking at the page for BOOST_PP_OVERLOAD, one may not know what the
>>> '(v)' signifies. Perhaps the '(v)' could be a link to the paragraph
>>> I quoted?
>>
>> Thank you for the explanation. That was exactly my situation, I too was
>> wondering what the '(v)' meant and indeed tried clicking on it, then
>> looked for a footnote, but in the just attributed it to some
>> documentation typo.
>>
>>> Perhaps the '(v)' could be a link to the paragraph
>>> I quoted?
>>
>> That would certainly be very helpful. How does one bring this to the
>> attention of the maintainer(s)?
>
> I am one of the maintainers, as I did work adding variadic macro support
> to Boost PP with Paul Mensonides help. I do think that linking to some
> other page or anchor each time you click the "(v)" is redundant.

Isn't that the whole point of citations? Instead of repeating in place,
one links to a bibliography, or some other section of text?

> There are many places in the Boost PP doc that use the "(v)" notation
> and I would have to link or anchor each one of them. I also found out an
> anchor on another page does not work well with the way the Boost PP docs
> are setup.

If I were to peruse the BOOST_PP_OVERLOAD reference, how would I know what
'(v)' meant? If it's not clickable, then I would look for the citation's
body at the bottom of the page, or in the bibliography, neither of which
exist. Hence I'm left scrounging the whole document until by luck I come
across its definition.

My experience as a casual user of the library,

Mostafa