Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Log: Any Comments? (Was: [log] Permission to merge to trunk)
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-09 12:52:22

On Tuesday 09 April 2013 18:43:05 Alexander Arhipenko wrote:

> This email about feature request.
> I've requested this "feature" (better to say - existing feature behaviour)
> several years ago and would like to repeat again.
>
> It would be very nice to have rotation feature work the same way as in e.g.
> python logging library or Apache web server:
> * latest file has the name filename.log
> * previous file has the name filename.log.1 or filename.log.YYYY-MM-DD
> AFAIK, it's impossible to achieve in current implementation.
>
> Andrey, what do you think about this?

The library does not provide this behavior out of the box. But the file sink
uses a file collector object to collect rotated files. This collector can be
implemented by the user (it should derive from sinks::file::collector
interface) and it should be possible to implement it the way you describe.
Would you like to submit such implementation?