Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC 2013: ODE or B-trees?
From: Mario Mulansky (mario.mulansky_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-10 22:40:50

Hi Artem,

On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:00:01 PM Артём Серов wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My name is Artem Serov. I would like to participate GSoC in Boost and
> I have a dilemma. I don't have enough information to choose one of two
> projects in boost: B-trees and Ordinary Differential Equations and
> want to find out which project matches me better. Before composing a
> formal application (with all formal requirements) for a project and
> deeper investigating of the environment i hope to get a piece of
> advice about my doubts.
>
> A few facts:
> - the 3rd year student of Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology
> (State University), Russia.
> - ~1 year exprerience of C/C++ industrial programming in Intel as intern.
> - no experience in open souce project contribution.
>
> Both projects are very challenging and interesting for me.
>
> ODE: I had cources of Theory of ODE, Computional Mathematics and
> Parallel programming (OpenMPI) at the university, so i am familiar
> with the topic.

With this background it seems you would be very suitable to one of the odeint
projects and we would be happy to see your proposal on that.

> B-trees: The topic "B-trees" is located in the additional list of
> ideas for GSoC, so there is no concrete information except the title.
> Could someone (maybe who have put this in the ideas list) will tell
> anything: maybe requirements, any thoughts, why is it mentioned in
> GSoC ideas list, why isn't this idea in a main list or any information
> like in projects in the main ideas list, please?
>
> What would you advise me: to apply for the concrete project from the
> main list or to develop the project from additional list? What is
> preferable for the community?
> Could you give a kind of very brief estimation and comparisson of
> difficulty of both projects?

I don't know anything about the B-Trees project at all, but afaik students are
allowed to submitted more than one proposal. So if you are undecided you
should maybe just write two proposals.

Mario