Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc-2013] Physics Library Abstraction Layer
From: Michael Marcin (mike.marcin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-12 03:53:05

On 4/12/13 12:44 AM, Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Michael Marcin <mike.marcin_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>>
>> Formalizing these shared aspects into concepts and creating an elegant
>> interface with multiple backend bindings is what I would hope a boost
>> physics library would accomplish.
>>

> Hmmm...this sounds like you have something similar to Boost.Multiprecision
> in mind. Is that accurate?

I've not used Multiprecision but looking over the intro docs yes very
much so. Also Boost.MPI is very similar to what I'm talking about.

Specifically from the MPI docs.

Boost.MPI is not a completely new parallel programming library. Rather,
it is a C++-friendly interface to the standard Message Passing Interface
(MPI), the most popular library interface for high-performance,
distributed computing. MPI defines a library interface, available from
C, Fortran, and C++, for which there are many MPI implementations.
Although there exist C++ bindings for MPI, they offer little
functionality over the C bindings. The Boost.MPI library provides an
alternative C++ interface to MPI that better supports modern C++
development styles, including complete support for user-defined data
types and C++ Standard Library types, arbitrary function objects for
collective algorithms, and the use of modern C++ library techniques to
maintain maximal efficiency.

Obviously not exactly the same. MPI is standardized and there is no
standard physics api that I'm aware of.